In the centre of Erfurt’s old town is the neo-Gothic Erfurt Town Hall, which today is not only the administrative seat of the city, but also a popular venue for festivals, concerts and receptions and undoubtedly one of the city’s tourist attractions. The eventful history of the town hall dates back to the 13th century. Over the centuries, the present building complex has been steadily extended – most recently the main parts from 1870 to 1875. At the beginning of the 20th century, the east wing was extended and the second staircase and the council meeting hall were built. Particularly worth seeing are the historical murals inside the building, which show scenes from Thuringian history and legends.