In the middle of the bustling old town is a contemplative place: the Heilighafen town church. The cultural monument from 1250 was built in the transitional Romanesque-Gothic style and is seen as early evidence of the onset of Christianization in northern Germany. The town of Heiligenhafen itself was first mentioned in a document 50 years later. Over the centuries, the church was remodeled several times. In the 1950s was the last major reconstruction phase, which gave the church its current appearance. About 20 years later followed the redesign of the altar, the seating of the interior and the installation of the new organ. A curiosity are the suspended boats and ships.