High above the old town of Limburg, on the Domberg, is the famous Limburg Cathedral. The three-nave basilica looks very stately with its baroque paintings and the seven towers, which are supposed to symbolize the seven sacraments. Inside the church, however, it looks quite different: downright simple and small, the cathedral appears here. Built in 1200 as the successor of the canonical monastery of St. George, the collegiate and parish church was consecrated in 1235. In 1827 the basilica became the cathedral of the Limburg diocese and the seat of the bishop. Right next to the cathedral is the canons’ cemetery, where many priests and high-ranking members of the monastery were buried.