It rises imposingly on the rock at the northern edge of the old Roman wall: the city parish church of St. Paul, which visitors often mistake for the cathedral. Built between 1667 and 1678, the baroque sacred building on Neumarkt is the mother church of the city for the people of Passau. Like its predecessor from 1050, the pale pink and cream-white city parish church is dedicated to St Paul and initially had a flattened roof. It was not until the 19th century that a spire was added to the tower. Right next to the church is the Paulus Arch – Passau’s oldest preserved city gate. In Roman times, this gate was the only entrance to the city.