Windeck Castle

Windeck Castle


High castle with an eventful history

The ruins of Windeck Castle on the Schlossberg can be reached either by car or via a hiking trail from Weinheim. A first castle was built on this site as early as 1110 with the aim of protecting the property of the Lorsch monastery. After several destructions and restorations, Windeck Castle was finally plundered and destroyed by troops of the French king in 1647. It was therefore also used as a quarry by the citizens of Weinheim. The Count and Baron of Berckheim acquired the castle from the Baden state in 1900 and had it partially restored. Today it is owned by the town of Weinheim.


Leave a Reply

Sharing is caring
Places of Germany


Subscribe to our newsletter and be the first to know when there are new places, routes or something to win.