As early as 1230, Auerbach Castle in the Hessian town of Bensheim was built as a fortified castle on the so-called “Urberge” by the Landgrave of Katzenelnbogen. In the course of the 14th century, it was rebuilt several times until it attained its present form. For several hundred years, the imposing fortress served to defend the entire upper county of Katzenelnbogen as well as to deter enemies. After Auerbach Castle was heavily destroyed during the 30 Years’ War, the complex was abandoned and gradually allowed to fall into disrepair. In 1820, the northern tower collapsed. 30 years later, the Grand Duke of Hesse began to rebuild the complex.