The Friedensbrücke in Bautzen is one of the largest stone arch bridges in Saxony and connects the old town with the western suburb. It offers a great view of the Spree and the historic old town of Bautzen. The Spree cycle path runs below the bridge. In 1909, the Saxon King Friedrich August III officially inaugurated the structure, which was then called the Crown Prince Bridge. In 1945, the bridge was largely destroyed during the Battle of Bautzen. After a lengthy restoration phase, the bridge was renamed Friedensbrücke (Bridge of Peace) and opened to road traffic in 1949. The new name is a symbol of the severe destruction in Bautzen during the Second World War.