The world-famous Dresden Semper Opera House was built in 1667 by Gottfried Semper and became the centre of the European opera world under court conductor Johann Adolph Hasse. In the course of the 19th century, important milestones in the history of the opera house followed with the opening of the Royal Saxon Court Theatre, the appointment of Richard Wagner as court conductor and the reopening in 1879 after the fire of 1869. Famous operas such as “The Flying Dutchman” and “Tannhäuser” were premiered here. The Semper Opera House was destroyed during the air raids at the end of the Second World War and was not rebuilt until 1985. Until then, the Saxon State Opera could only perform as a guest in other houses.