Hannover’s old town is home to the Old Town Hall, the oldest secular building in the city. Together with the Marktkirche, the first parts of the building from the 15th century form the southernmost group of buildings of the North German Brick Gothic style. After construction began in 1410, the city’s first town hall was extended and rebuilt several times. A citizens’ initiative successfully defended itself against demolition plans at the end of the 19th century. In 1943, large parts of the Old Town Hall were destroyed in an air raid. From 1953 to 1999, the building complex was then gradually and extensively renovated and, for example, the inner courtyard was redesigned and fitted with a glass roof.