One of the oldest squares in Heidelberg is the Marktplatz with the town hall and the Heiliggeistkirche. In the centre of the square is the eye-catching Hercules Fountain, which was built between 1706 and 1709. The design of the fountain is intended as a reminder of the arduous reconstruction after the destruction of the Thirty Years’ War. In the past, the market square was used for the weekly market and also as a venue for public trials. Since the end of the 1970s, Heidelberg’s market square has only been accessible to pedestrians, having previously also served as a car park. In winter, the rustic huts of the Heidelberg Christmas Market can be found here, which is opened from the town hall balcony.