Idyllically situated in front of the houses of Lindau’s old town on the island is Lindau’s green oasis – the Stadtgarten. Before the park was laid out in 1847 on the model of English landscape gardens, there was only water here. After the banks were filled in and the former land gate was demolished, there was space here for the first larger green area on the island. The remains of the two redoubts, which can be seen framed by plane trees on both sides of Chelles Avenue, still point to the fortified entrance to the city. In Lindau’s city garden, exotic plants such as ginkgo, palms, bananas and magnolias can be admired alongside magnificent flowerbeds.