In the immediate vicinity of the Church of St. Stephen, the Minster of Our Lady dominates the Lindau townscape. It was built between 1748 and 1752 after the devastating fire in Lindau by the master builder Johann Caspar Bagnato, who also designed the castle and church on Mainau Island and the New Castle in Meersburg. In 1922, the church was again destroyed by a major fire – the roof and ceiling of the nave collapsed. In 2002, the collegiate church was finally elevated to the status of a cathedral by the then Bishop of Augsburg, Viktor Josef Dammertz. The ceiling paintings, frescoes and interior decoration in the rococo style are particularly worth seeing.