Lübeck’s town hall, built in 1230, is located centrally on the market square. Construction began shortly after the granting of imperial freedom. Since its completion in 1308, the building has been used continuously as the city’s administrative center. Over the centuries, however, the Lübeck City Hall was often rebuilt. For example, at the beginning of the 19th century, the Hansa Hall, where the Hanseatic Days used to be held, was removed. In addition to the large display wall, the three towers and the small decorative balconies on the facade of the town hall are particularly eye-catching. Also worth seeing are the three colossal paintings inside the building above the flight of steps.