The Old University of Marburg has existed since 1527, but the foundations of the building are much older. The university was built on the remains of the Dominican monastery founded in 1291. As this became too small for the students over time, the Old University had to be built in neo-Gothic style at the end of the 19th century. And teaching still takes place here today – in the Department of Protestant Theology at the University of Marburg. In addition, the historic assembly hall is regularly used as a venue for university ceremonies. In the banqueting hall, which was inaugurated in 1903, the seven large-format paintings and the wooden coffered ceiling are particularly eye-catching.