The Marburg University Church can be seen from afar as it sits enthroned on the rock above Marburg together with the Old University. Originally built at the beginning of the 14th century, the church was part of the Dominican monastery, which was founded on this site in 1291. This was demolished after the Reformation in 1827 and the Old University was built. The interior furnishings and the baptismal font of the Marburg University Church date from the 17th century. The church was consecrated to John the Baptist and has two naves of different widths. The construction of a southern side aisle had not been necessary due to the adjacent monastery.