This is where the success story of Meissen porcelain began: at Albrechtsburg Castle in Meissen. Built in 1471 by Elector Ernst and Duke Albrecht, the castle is considered a masterpiece of late Gothic architecture and was the first castle in Germany designed for residential rather than defensive purposes. The triumphant advance of Meissen porcelain began here in 1710 when Augustus the Strong had the first European porcelain factory established at Albrechtsburg Castle. The coveted porcelain was successfully produced here until 1863. At the end of the 19th century, Albrechtsburg Castle was artistically redesigned. The highlight of the museum, which opened in 1881, is a “painted picture book”.