The multi-storey town hall on Memmingen’s market square is a real eye-catcher. As the successor to the medieval half-timbered council chamber, which stood on the same site, the Renaissance building was erected in 1589 according to the plans of Johann Jakob Ehinger. At 30,000 gulden, the magnificent building was incredibly expensive at the time. In the course of the 18th century, Memmingen’s landmark was extensively remodeled in the style of noble country castles. According to the designs of Johann Georg Knoll and Jakob Mitteregger, it received many rococo elements and the windows were decorated with stucco. In addition, the carved door wings and the city coat of arms on the skylights of the side corridors were added.