The Old Market in Potsdam was designed in the Roman style in the middle of the 18th century. Testimony to this style of construction is the Marborobelisk from 1753, which is still preserved in a different form. After the destruction of the Second World War in April 1945, the remains of the City Palace were demolished. The construction of the new state parliament building followed on the same site in 2002. Since the 18th century, the Old Town Hall has been part of the Old Market Square. Initially, after the Town Hall, it housed the Savings Bank and, from the beginning of the 20th century, the Potsdam Museum Association. After the destruction in 1945, the historic building was used as a cultural center.