Built in 1435, Tübingen’s town hall is the oldest building on Tübingen’s market square and still characterises the townscape of the university town today. Due to its elaborate design, it is considered one of the most beautiful town halls in Baden-Württemberg. In 1508, a third storey was added to the building and the famous astronomical clock of Tübingen’s first mathematics and astronomy professor Johannes Stöffle was installed. As early as the Middle Ages, the ground floor served as a salt store and prison and the open arcade hall as a merchant’s room where bakers and butchers offered their wares. Tübingen’s court and city council were housed on the upper floor and the Württemberg court on the third floor.