In 1150, the Hohenstaufen Emperor Konrad III had Miltenberg Castle built. Today, the keep and curtain wall are still preserved from the original construction. Around the turn of the century, the Mildenburg was acquired by the Archbishop of Mainz and served as the administrative seat of the Mainz bailiff. During this time, the settlement of Miltenberg was also founded at the foot of the castle. After its destruction in the Margravian War in 1552, Miltenberg Castle was rebuilt in the 16th century. After further decay, modernizations were also carried out in the 19th and 20th centuries. In 1979, the castle became the property of the town of Miltenberg, which reopened the structure to the public in 2011.