The famous Nuremberg Hangman’s Bridge was built in 1595 when Nuremberg suffered severe damage from a flood. The previous bridge, built in 1457 and part of the city wall, was badly damaged. It was therefore replaced by the wooden bridge with bricks. The unusual name of the Hangman’s Footbridge comes from the neighbouring tower, where the hangman of Nuremberg lived between the 16th and 19th centuries. In the Middle Ages, the hangman entered the city via the Henkersteg. During the Second World War, the wooden footbridge was again badly damaged. It was not until 1954 that it was rebuilt to its original design.