Anyone walking through Regensburg’s old town will see them on every corner: historical monuments that bear witness to the eventful history of the city on the Danube. In total, there are about 960 listed buildings on an area of 1.8 km². No wonder, then, that Regensburg’s Old Town was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2006. For centuries, the city was of great importance to the Holy Roman Empire as a medieval trading centre and as an early modern meeting place for European diplomats. The Perpetual Diet, for example, met here from 1663 to 1803 to decide on European policy with influence on the entire area north of the Alps.