In the middle of Würzburg’s old town stands the 13th-century town hall, which is well worth seeing. Particularly impressive is the so-called Grafeneckart, the oldest and at the same time most beautiful part of the town hall. As early as the 14th century, this was considered a sign of the burghers’ striving for independence from the bishop’s sovereign and features the 13th-century Wenceslas Hall and a Romanesque tower. In 1659 – 1660, the Red Building was added to the west in the late Renaissance style. To the north, the monastery of the Discalced Carmelites was added by the city in the 19th century. Only the Grafeneckart and the gable front of the Red Building were spared from the bombing in March 1945.