The Catholic parish church of St. Mary in Sulzbach-Rosenberg is a testimony to the town’s eventful history. On the same site as today’s church, a predecessor building in Romanesque style with the adjacent St. Leonhard’s Chapel had stood since the 11th century. The latter was not demolished until 1807, whereas the Romanesque sacred building was replaced by today’s St. Mary’s parish church as early as the middle of the 14th century. The three-nave nave with its four bays was added in 1412 and the side chapel to the south and north in about 1488. The building site was originally the town’s cemetery, but in 1536 it was finally moved further east outside the town boundary.