The Würzburg church of St. John, or St. Johanniskirche, dates from 1895 and was the second large Evangelical Lutheran parish church in Würzburg after St. Stephan. At the end of the Second World War, it was largely destroyed on 16 March 1945. During the restoration after the end of the war, many of the war damages were deliberately preserved – quasi as a memorial against the war or for peace. This visible damage is what gives St. John’s Church in Würzburg its distinctive appearance today. The church was then rededicated in 1957 – the second time after it had already been dedicated to St John the Baptist in 1895.